Pattern Lab (Double Session - Part 2)
Each iteration of Drupal introduces new and exciting ways to manage content. However, the display of content is even more important along with the knowledge of how to convert a design to a theme. While we have all read about, watched and even worked with Twig to create new themes in Drupal 8, the way we work with Twig has changed.
Join us as we walk through the theming variations that started with the traditional theme-centric design and has quickly moved into component-based design. Together we will master Component-based theming with Twig as we work to identify patterns, define components, utilize command line tools such as Composer, NPM, and Grunt to quickly create a PatternLab managed theme.
Learn how to work smarter in developing components that can easily be integrated into a project after project without having to recreate yourself.
If you consider yourself a front-end developer then you will be right at home learning all the newest techniques to take your skills to the next level as we master Component-based theming with Twig and Pattern Lab.
You'll come away from the course with knowledge of:
- How to define, develop and theme a component
- Steps for integrating PatternLab into Drupal
- Various techniques for componentizing Drupal
Lesson 3: Building Components
Reviewing a design we will work thru identifying the components that make up the page and begin building our first components. Utilizing PatternLab we will first build our component using simple markup, styling, and Twig. We will learn how to then combine components using advanced Twig syntax to build a completed page.
- Creating our first component
- Managing components within PatternLab
- Exposing our component to Drupal
- Combining components
- Advanced Twig syntax
Prerequisites for this Course:
- You should have PHP 7 installed locally prior to this training.
- Have a basic understanding of PatternLab, NPM, and the command line
- Have Composer and NPM installed on your computer.
You can find directions on how to install everything needed for the class at the following GIT repo.